Today was my/our monthly check up with the doctor, and frankly I’m a little irritated at you right now. For the first 18 weeks of pregnancy I managed to only gain 5 pounds. I was practically withering away. Then, three weeks later, I get on the scale and my total weight gain is 17 pounds. TWELVE POUNDS IN THREE WEEKS. That’s FOUR POUNDS PER WEEK. The doctor was confused as to the rapid weight gain, and so he weighed me three times, each with the same number attached. Then he took my blood pressure twice to make sure I wasn’t dying from the increased weight load, but if anything it was a little on the low side. So I’m healthy as a horse, and you are healthy as a horse, but one of us is filling out a little too quickly and I very much need it not to be me.
He reviewed with me your stats from the last ultrasound, and said your brain and spine and bones and organs all look great. I got to listen to your heartbeat again, which is very strong, and I informed the doctor that you are kicking me almost constantly these days. I’m not sure who to credit for your A+ development, but I’d like to think I have a little something to do with it. Your dad was always a little nervous about me being the sole person in charge of your survival, but so far we seem to be working out a good system. I go about life surviving, and you seem to go about your own live surviving right along with me. Together we are like a pair of gestational survivalists.
Today is Valentine’s Day. This will be the last one we ever have without you here. Technically you are my Valentine this year, even though your dad is the one getting a card. If it helps, I gave you three mini-brownies today as your treat (which may be a piece of the overall weight gain puzzle…but I can’t help it. You like sugary things and it’s a special occasion).
This weekend we’re taking you to Syracuse to do some house hunting for Aunt Shay and Uncle Mike. They are moving there in about 10 weeks for Uncle Mike’s school program, which makes us pretty excited because Syracuse is only about five hours away. We told them we’d scope out the places they’re looking at online and let them know what we think. I hope that now that I’m an almost-Mom, I’ll know what kinds of things to look for that are child safe and friendly for your cousins. Like hopefully if I see a hypodermic needle and a homeless guy sleeping in one of the rental houses I’ll know that’s a bad sign, whereas a nicely manicured neighborhood with lots of well- groomed children running about is probably a good sign. We’re also planning on hitting up Cooperstown on the way back to Boston to check out the Baseball Hall of Fame. Your dad is excited to take you there, even though I reminded him that you can’t open your eyes yet, and even if you could, it’s not like there’s a window on my uterus for you to look out of. He doesn’t seem phased by this though, and hopes nonetheless that you’ll enjoy the experience.
This week I also took the time to create a baby registry. I swear, if we end up with even a third of the stuff I put on there I will be overwhelmed. But I tried to just stick with the things everyone said I absolutely must have, so I guess we’ll have to just wait and see what happens. Either way, you are one expensive little person for someone who has yet to pay taxes or contribute to society in any meaningful way.
Until next time, be safe and have fun. And let’s both try to watch what we eat from here on out, okay?
I completely understand the sudden and "unexplained" weight gain. It happens ti me every single time. I never feel like I'm eating tons of food, but those who know me best seem to think I am eating way more than usual. Anyway, you are healthy, so don't stress about the weight gain. Chances are, you'll need it later when you find yourself eating your first meal at 4:00 in the afternoon while simultaneously creating nature's perfect food for your baby. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the house hunting! I completely trust your kid-friendly house/neighborhood instincts.
ReplyDelete